GEN6 has 4 different national experiments (also called pilots), some of them replicated in a complementary way in different countries, considering different existing approaches with IPv4.
- IPv6 upgrade of eGovernment Network Infrastructures, e-Identification, Services and Applications (Germany, Spain, Netherlands and Turkey).
- IPv6 upgrade of Secure Cloud Services (Luxembourg).
- IPv6 upgrade of Energy Efficiency in School Networks (Greece).
- IPv6 upgrade of Emergency Response Environments (Slovenia).
GEN6 provides general guides for planning and transition steps.
- IPv6 networks topologies and addressing types
- IPv6 addressing technologies
- IPv6 transition technologies and support
- IPv6 deployment support
The outcome of the national pilots contributes to these guides and provides additional documentation based on transition experience in the fields of:
- Network equipment (switches, router, firewalls, load balancers, …)
- Network provider access points (fiber, xDSL, …)
- Middleware and technologies like webservers, portals, databases.