EUHubs4Data will set up a European federation of Big Data Digital Innovation Hubs (DIHs), with the ambition of becoming a reference instrument for data-driven cross-border experimentation and innovation, and support the growth of European SMEs and start-ups in a global Data Economy.
Based on the concept ‘European catalogue, local offer’, EUHubs4Data will establish a Europe-wide, sustainable ecosystem drawing upon local expertise and achievements of European initiatives and national/regional Big Data DIHs, with the threefold objective of: (1) creating a European catalogue of data sources and federated data-driven services and solutions; (2) making this offer accessible at the regional level so that European SMEs, start-ups and web entrepreneurs have access to the most valuable assets and expertise on the continent; (3) fostering cross-border and cross-sector data-driven experimentation facilitated through data sharing, and data & service interoperability.
To achieve these objectives, the project relies on:
- a strong initial ecosystem of 12 Big Data DIHs from the 4 EU poles, linked to European Data Incubators and SME networks;
- a multi-dimensional approach (governance, operations, technical, ethical and legal aspects, interoperability, skills) for the expansion of the federation (growing up to 30 DIHs);
- a strong offer of services and access to data sources, based on an initial set of solutions for data and service interoperability, and including a coherent and diverse training programme;
- the capacity to attract, support and engage SMEs, start-ups and web entrepreneurs (40 cross-border experiments, and 60-80 companies directly involved in the data-driven innovation programme);
- a community and ongoing collaborations with 60 relevant European initiatives; HUB’biquitous is initially covering 12 EU regions in 9 countries, and plans to expand to more than 20 regions and 14 countries during the project, establishing a long-lasting sustainable ecosystem.